Sunday, November 8, 2015

My Digital Story

10 comments:

  1. 1. Purpose: The purpose of this story is to show what you have went through to become a teacher. Going through rough times and listening to people tell you otherwise about becoming a teacher.
    2. Dramatic Question: You start your video by saying that as long as you can remember you have known that you wanted to be a teacher.
    3. Emotion: A lot of people can relate to your video. I can relate to the beginning with knowing that you have always wanted to be a teacher. I know a lot of people that played school with their relatives. My dad is a teacher and didn’t want me to become one. I think those that do teach have heard that they shouldn’t teach when they tells others about it.
    4. Economy: Your digital story was over 8 minutes in length.
    5. Images: Your images are showing what you are narrating in your digital story. I think that they go great with your narrations and flow really well.
    6. Audio: Your voice was very clear and easy to understand.
    I really liked the lighthouse and what it represented when you were turning your life around from being in the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a good video for students who are going through what you went through. There are plenty of students who never had to study like you and get to college only to find out they now have to and don't know how.
    Purpose: Born to teach - struggle to get there
    Dramatic Question: Always wanted to be a teacher
    Emotion: Okay, maybe just teachers are compelled to listen to this story. One so close to their own.
    Economy: 8 minutes long.
    Images: Classroom and text books at the beginning and end match. The middle images are less attached to the story, I think. Not sure I would have chosen these images. I could see other images in my mind as I listened to the story. "Smooth sailing" and "drowning" image was good.
    Audio: Voice is very clear and has emotion. Very good use of words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Overall, I think your story is well done. I can definitely relate this, as I too wasn't really challenged in HS and didn't feel completely prepared for College.

    1. Purpose- you knew that you were meant to teach, but you took the long way getting there.
    2. Dramatic Question- I think that what hooked me in was that you said you always knew what you wanted to do.
    3. Emotion- I think that your emotional connection is really well done. Your story is relatable, and not just to teachers, but to anyone who didn't instantly get where they wanted to be.
    4. Economy- You video is somewhat lengthy, and I would perhaps see if there was any unnecessary lines that I could cut out.
    5. Images - I think that if you could show us some pictures of you as a kid at the spelling bees, or with an award that you won, that would make us viewers feel a little more connected to the story. My favorite image was the boat when you said "smooth sailing" and "drowning"
    6. Audio- I like the calm, steady quiet music in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah,
    You have such a wonderful story of determination, perseverance, and accomplishing goals. I felt like a great turning point in your story was your statement, “The one thing I was always effortlessly good at was now my greatest struggle.” Your narration throughout was really pleasant to listen to. You have a great speaking voice. Your images were very thought provoking and showed the progression from dreams and great accomplishments to struggle, loneliness, and disillusion. I especially liked the single boat on the dock, and the barren land. They added to the emotion of the story. The quiet music tied everything together well, too. If there is anything that could be changed, I guess it would just be that length, but I'm not sure how it could be shortened. Overall you’ve told a really great story, and I’m so happy for you that you were able to accomplish your dream of being a teacher. I hope it’s a job you always enjoy. It took a lot for you to get here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah,
    I enjoyed the story you told in the beginning about playing school in the beginning of your digital story. Wanting to prove yourself against someone who thought you couldn’t achieve your goals, and you were able to prove them wrong. And I had the same problem with studying in college when I first started. Your story was very uplifting. The only thing I would change is your music could be slightly louder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dramatic question and purpose are evident, as your goal was to be a teacher. You present us with some unexpected irony when you reach college and struggle to get in a groove. As others have mentioned, you might want to work on the length. Perhaps if you add pictures of awards to shorten up some of the narration on the easy-street parts of the story, it would achieve this. I'd also like it if more of the pics when you are talking about high school and college were directly related to what you're saying, like when you mention how much bigger Morgantown is than your hometown, etc. It's good to see your perseverance paid off and you have the right to be proud of your accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The best thing about your digital story is that it is relatable. I definitely think your story is something that many could resonate with. I was told the very same thing you were about being a teacher: that I was too smart and wouldn't relate well to students (and told this while student teaching none the less).

    Purpose: Your focus is clearly on your journey to become a teacher, and it stays present throughout.
    Dramatic Question: Your question is found in the meaning of your story.
    Emotion: This is clearly something personal to you. I WISH I would have had your confidence about what you wanted to do. Sometimes I still doubt myself. It's always great to see someone who knows what they want, and who works hard to get there.
    Economy: 8 minutes. It's a little long, but you had a lot of story to tell.
    Images: I thought your images were good. I would have liked to have seen some more personal images, given the content of the story, but the ones you chose do okay.
    Audio: Your narration is great, and I think the music that plays in the background is very well chosen. It all goes together very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hannah,
    I really love this story. I love your presentation, but I really think this is such an important story because in some ways, I think this story really explains to us as teachers that we need to find ways to individualize the education process and challenge all of our students. I think the current education system has failed many great students by its "one size fits all" framework.

    Thank you for this story, and I bet you are a damn good teacher!
    Michael Gallimore

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best thing about this story is it shows perseverance pays off.
    I’d like to know more about your family’s reaction to your revelations.
    One thing you might consider changing is editing for length.
    Another good thing about your story is how you can inspire others with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best thing about your story is that it shows viewers that they can be knocked off their path time and time again, but if you can get back on it, you can succeed. I'd like to know more about your views on teaching, now: is it everything you thought it would be? One thing you might consider changing is fixing the length. Another good thing about your story is aesthetic appeal and flow.

    ReplyDelete