Thursday, October 29, 2015

Brainstorming My Digital Story

1. Positive scene from childhood-

One event from my childhood that really stands out as being exceptionally memorable is the first time I visited Washington, D. C. My family didn't have a lot of money, and we didn't take many trips or vacations. So when I was tested for the gifted program when I was in 3rd grade, and then found out that the gifted class would be taking a trip to our nation's capitol toward the end of the school year, I was ecstatic. I loved history from an early age. One of my favorite pastimes was reading through my collection of flash cards and books all about American presidents and other notable figures, wars and battles, famous historical sights and landmarks. There wasn't any place in the country I would have rather visited as a 9-year-old than Washington, D. C. (except maybe Disney World). It was an amazing trip. I saw the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, the U. S. Capitol, Arlington National Cemetery (I even got to witness the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier), and the list goes on. I have been back to the District of Columbia 3 more times since my first trip, but none was as memorable as seeing those sights for the first time.

2. Negative scene from childhood-

When I was 6 years old, my mom was killed in a car accident caused by a drunk driver. It happened while she was on her way to work on a Tuesday morning. Luckily there were no other people involved in the accident, other than my mother and the drunk driver who hit her head-on. As far as I know, he was not injured. I don't remember the court proceedings, but I've been told that he received the lightest sentence, which was a $25,000 fine. My sister, brother, and I received money in stipends on our 18th-21st birthdays. This event had a significant impact on my life for the obvious reasons; Because of this tragic accident, my siblings and I had to grow up without our mother. But I believe it also affected my life in other ways. When I was in high school and my friends started experimenting with alcohol, I wanted no part of it. I had seen the way it could destroy lives. This experience helped me to be stronger than the peer pressure I faced.

3. Event from teenage years-

When I was 14 years old, my dad was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a form of bone cancer. I watched him suffer through aggressive chemotherapy treatments, plasma transfusions, and surgery to remove his right hip bone. It was a life-changing experience for me to see my father, who had always been the picture of strength and toughness in my eyes, have moments of weakness and vulnerability. Through it all, though, I never lost faith that my dad would win his battle with cancer. After the surgery to remove his hip, the cancer was gone, and his scans have all been clear for the last 10 years.

4. Important memory from adult years-

I feel that there's nothing that has occurred in my life, and especially my adult years, that has had a more significant impact than the birth of my son, Connor. My 9 lb., 1 oz. baby boy was born on January 9, 2014. Having a child changed my life in many ways. My sole focus has turned from myself to my son, and bettering my life so that he can have as many opportunities as possible.

5. Turning point-

As a high school graduate I thought I had everything figured out. School always came easily to me and I never really had to try very hard or study. I expected college to be the same way, but I was sadly mistaken. I was unprepared for what I would face as a college freshman, and for the first time in my life I found myself doing poorly in school. There came a time when I was considering dropping out, but what kept me from doing so was the reminder that the only thing I had ever wanted to do with my life and my future was become a teacher. I wanted that more than anything else. I knew that to achieve that goal, I had to figure out how to succeed in college; there was no other option. From that point on, I became a completely different student. I had to repeat my entire freshman year, but I persevered and graduated with my B.A. in secondary education in December 2013.

1 comment:

  1. Emotional Content: All of your answers were very emotional and each of them would make for an excellent digital story.
    A Dramatic Question: Each of your stories deal with very dramatic content, where you have to overcome adversity in some aspect of your life.

    ReplyDelete