Reading #1
Three things I learned about storytelling are-
1. You have to know your punch line.
2. You have to know your ending.
3. A good story can "cross the barriers of time--past, present, and future".
But the most important thing I learned is that stories bring people together, and allow them to see similarities between them where they may have not thought there could be any.
"What Makes A Good Story?" NPR. 7 June 2013. Web. 9 Oct. 2015.
Reading #2
"Whitehead warned educators about the danger of inert ideas, ideas that are merely received into the mind without being utilized, or tested, or thrown into fresh combinations. He noticed that when romance has been fully activated, ideas come alive for the learner because they are relevant and because the learner can engage with them."
This quote from the passage struck a chord with me because it's something I'm encountering on a daily basis in my current teaching position. As an art teacher, I have many students who are interested in art, and therefore are eager to begin working and diligently complete their projects. You would never know based on their efforts in my class that they are failing, or at the very least doing poorly, in nearly every other class. On the other hand, I have at least one student every day who tells me that he or she will never use art in their everyday lives, and asks instead to go to work on welding or computer programming or something of the like. If only these students could have that same activation of romance in all their classes as they do in their favorite subjects. As teachers, it is our job to try to activate that romance in all of our students, to the best of our ability.

No comments:
Post a Comment