Sunday, September 6, 2015

My Magazine Cover


My magazine cover features a cover story on Common Core state standards, and promises to discuss the controversial viewpoints on both sides of the issue, and also tell the reader what they can expect in education in the future as a result. To be honest, I have not yet taught in a school setting, so I am not well-versed in Common Core. What I do know about it is this -- there is always controversy involved when this topic is brought up. So I decided to delve into the issues and discuss them in detail for my cover story. As a secondary story in my magazine, there will be facts presented regarding why we view the same thing, but can see it very differently from someone else. I believe this goes hand-in-hand with the issues surrounding Common Core. For the final stories in my magazine, I chose two things that will be important to me to implement in my future classroom when I begin teaching. I want to guide my students into becoming "digitally responsible citizens", and I also want to design lessons and build my curriculum around things that they are interested in, to help foster meaningful learning.

I believe that my magazine cover has a more newsletter-y feel than a magazine. I chose to use illustrations rather than photographs. I feel that this helps bring a little humor into a magazine cover that otherwise might have felt too stale and serious. I also used glittering generalities, by using terms such as "participate responsibly" and "teaching in the 21st century", implying that these very broad topics mean virtually the same thing to everyone and can be covered in a single magazine story or issue. Finally, I used loaded language; words like "values", "controversy", "future", and "citizenship" are used to pull the reader in, play on their emotions, and make them want to read more.

5 comments:

  1. Hannah,
    When I look at your cover, it is not immediately clear to me what your stance on CC actually is. I agree CC definitely stirs up controversy, and I have even heard the phrase “rotten to the core”. I notice that your apple isn’t rotten, so that makes me think you aren’t necessarily totally against it. It appears that your main article will discuss perhaps both sides to ensure the reader gets a good feel of what CC is and how it will impact the future of education. I really like your comic at the bottom and the article summary that goes along with it. If I had to guess, I would say that maybe you are like me and don’t really have a solid stance on this issue. I am interested to see how close I am in guessing your actual stance simply based on the way you chose to design this cover.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Amanda! My thought process regarding the image of the apple was exactly the same as yours. I have not yet taught in the school system, so I have almost no experience with it; therefore, I cannot choose a side, so I chose to represent both sides in my article. I apologize for not having my description finished before you commented!

      Delete
  2. I found this cover a little plain, almost a little boring. But then again, maybe not. I looked at them all and decided to comment on this as one of my three. It gives me a comic feel as I look at it. The apple represents teachers or school, but it is green and eaten to the core. Core? Ah . . . I see!

    The bold black titles made me want to read the black print beneath. The perspective of the bars, three or four, gives me the impression that the discussion within these pages will give more than one side. I found the title EduNow VERY "techy" sounding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the comic you included on your cover, and I think it's a great metaphor for the debate on Common Core. I had to look at it a couple of minutes before I understood how you can either see "three" or "four". When discussing Common Core, there is definitely controversy and this comes from the perspectives that people have, which ultimately leads to debate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that your cover was a perfect representation of your views on the Common Core because you mentioned you're not well versed in CCS, and your cover was unbiased.

    ReplyDelete