What I learned from reading through my peers' postings of their love/hate relationships with various forms of media is that many of us are actually pretty similar. A lot of us seem to like, and dislike, the same things regarding print, sound, visual, and digital media. For example, the majority of my peers mentioned that they like the way it feels to hold a book in your hand and physically turn the pages, as opposed to scrolling on a screen. It appears that the main thing people dislike about print media is how wasteful it can be. With visual media, I noticed that most of my peers seem to enjoy taking and viewing photographs. It is interesting to me, given all of the animated visual media available today, that people still love inanimate photos. It seems that what many of my peers dislike about visual media is when it is used in a way that is harmful to others, such as reality TV shows that feature yelling, fighting, etc., or when it is used to try to bring another person down. Most people mentioned that they love music most when it comes to sound media, but many dislike the radio, with all of its commercials, repetition, and tendency to lose signal. An overwhelming number of people voiced their admiration for the ease of use when it comes to digital media. However, they dislike that not everyone has access to the information, and that it can be unreliable.
For me personally, I think that my favorite form of media is print media. There's just something about the way words look when written or typed on paper that you don't get with other media forms. I like that you can see the way print media ages, and when you read an old book, there's an endless number of people who might have held and read the same book before you. It's fun to wonder about who those people might have been. Print media can be passed down through generations, and can hold tons of history. I also like that print media forces you to use your imagination. When you're reading a novel and don't have any accompanying images, you are free to completely recreate the scenes being described in your own head. Print media is the most cumbersome and takes up the most room of all media forms, and it was particularly interesting to me that so many of my peers are concerned with the wastefulness that comes with print media and how books are disposed of. I always make a point to donate any books that I need to get rid of.
No comments:
Post a Comment